Petersen CPAs and Advisors understands how the environment of non-profit organizations is always changing and often challenging. As pressure mounts to increase services to meet the needs of the community, financial resources are likely declining. At the same time, government, donors, and other stakeholders are asking these same organizations to strengthen internal controls and improve governance.
Our non-profit specialists work with executives and board members to help them accomplish their mission through a balance of good governance and fiscal responsibility. We receive ongoing training in areas that affect the industry, keep you informed of the latest accounting and audit pronouncements and tax law changes, and help you address the implementation of such requirements. Most important, we deliver the level of communication, consultation, and value that you expect and deserve.
Vital to our success in this industry is the significant contributions of time our team members spend serving on boards and committees of not-for-profit organizations. We know this firsthand experience provides insight that is invaluable to clients.
Litigation Support and Business Valuations
When clients need specialized financial analysis as part of a legal proceeding, our litigation experts, consisting of CPAs, ABVs (Accredited Business Valuation), and CVAs (Certified Valuation Analyst) provide attorneys with specialized technical support throughout the litigation process.
- Analysis of damages or critique of opposition calculations
- Analysis of lost profits or critique of opposition calculations
- Financial projections
Business Valuation Services
- Valuations of closely held businesses for sale, divorce, financial reporting or estate calculation purposes
- Valuations of intangible property for sale, divorce, financial reporting or estate calculation purposes
Forensic Accounting Services
- Financial and economic analysis
- Evaluation of internal controls
- Fraud investigation
- Calculation and report of damages for prosecution or insurance
- Evaluation of property settlements
- Determination of assets/liabilities
- Analysis of community and separate property accounts
- Forensic analysis of account transactions and transfers
Most business owners do not believe fraud can happen in their organization, but the reality is fraud can happen in even the best managed business. We know because we hear about it every day.
A fraud incident can have a major financial impact on a business or organization. In addition to lost revenue, a business can suffer from decreased employee morale and a damaged reputation that affects customers, vendors, referral sources, and banking relationships.
Begin with proactive monitoring of risks
Petersen CPAs and Advisors can help you uncover areas for improvement in your organization’s financial recording, reporting, and oversight in order to help prevent asset misappropriation. An initial evaluation and recommendation is inexpensive and requires a minimal time investment.
An initial evaluation involves:
- interviewing your management team and accounting personnel
- identifying gaps in internal controls that could indicate a vulnerability to fraud
- preparing a report with practical recommendations on how to minimize these vulnerabilities
If you suspect fraud, we can provide forensic accounting services, including:
- an extensive investigation and organization of the records
- interviewing of all parties involved
- tabulating losses for litigation or insurance purposes